Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Men don't like to read books, written by women. True or False?

I've noticed a pattern..


Am I wrong? How and why?Men don't like to read books, written by women. True or False?
Great question you have gotten a lot of great responses. Some defensive and maybe not 100% honest perhaps though. I read mostly books by men but not because they are by men.





Some of the classics like Mary Shelley's ';Frankenstein'; kicked a lot of male writer's butts. I think typically men think that a woman puts too much romance in her books but that is not true of all female writers of course. But the fear steers some men away just the same. For me, a good book is a good book. As far as female written books, ';A Wrinkle in Time';, ';Frankenstein';, and ';The Key to Zion'; were excellent. I'd read other books by theses authors in a heart beat but from my personal perception I'd probably stay away from any Danielle Steele or Nora Roberts books in fear that they are sappy or romance novels.





I think actually women rule the preteen and young teen market as I remember Judy Bloom and Beverly Cleary type books being read by both genders but currently men have a greater hold on reaching the male older market. I don't think its necessarily a conscious effort to avoid female writers though and I wouldn't be surprised if this changed in the next several years.Men don't like to read books, written by women. True or False?
:o) Thanks a lot for the pick and I'll have you know I've posed a question to help broaden my horizons and have gotten great feedback so far. http://answers.yahoo.com/quest鈥?/a>

Report Abuse



False I read Margaret Weis and Anne Rice both of which are my favorite authors.
TRUE TRUE TRUE. I read sci fi / fantasy, but only male authors. I've wondered why too. I think it's because I immerse myself into the characters of the story, especially the main character, preferably a male. It's a form of escapism. And who better to write about a male, than a male? My favorites are Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, John Marco, George R. R. Martin, and David Eddings.


I thought David Eddings' work was good until his wife joined him in writing. (David and Leigh Eddings.)





This is why I think women authors choose pseudonyms that sound like male names, especially when writing sci fi/fant because many of the readers of that genre are men who only read male authors. Or, female authors use abbreviations of their name, like the author of Harry Potter.
false
Not true. Ayn Rand was a woman and more men than women read her books
false. men and women authors dont show much difference


Agatha Christie was much celebrated ,right?
False. I don't think that anybody cares if the writer is a man or a woman.
False..cause a woman can rite an adenture book very cool...like J.K.Rowling...you can't say mens don't read Harry Potter..or others book
Definately false The harry potter books are phenominal sellers written by a woman.Millions of men have read them.
I'm a man, and as long as the book is good, I'll read it. I don't really care who it's written by. Oh, and the same thing goes for my dad, step-dad, and step-brother. So, I'm going to say people read what they think is good, and most of the time don't pay attention to the author. :)
dont know
Like must true/false statements about human nature, this one can be both true and false. There are men, and then there are men.





I once had a student in a college English class--a recent veteran of Vietnam, a rock musician on the side, and a noted (and proud) womanizer. His favorite book as an adolescent boy had been The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton. He told me it was the best boy's book he ever read, and it had turned him into a reader. He had even become an English major in college. When I told him that S. E. Hinton was Susan Hinton, he simply could not believe me. No seventeen-year-old girl could have written that good a book about boys' experiences, he insisted.





If it had shown up on a booklist in his school with the author's name, Susie Hinton, he certainly would not have read it. Publishers knew that, so they sometimes had women publish under pseudonyms or using only their initials. It wasn't the nature of the book; it was an adolescent macho predilection.





That said, it is certainly true that there are some books that most men like better than most women and vice versa. But like most generalizations about human beings, both of these are products of stereotypical thinking: ';men don't like to read'; and ';when they do read, they like to read only books written by men.';
Not true for me. If you can pry me away from playing tennis, basketball, riding the cycle, etc. I will read pretty much anything. Like, once a year...doesn't matter what sex the author is.
False
false
True
sorry i dont know
If a writer is outstanding, gender doesn't seem to matter.
hi chacakaka its hard to generalise but i think men (the few who actually do) read books by women probably to get the ';chicks perspective '; thats what id do if i was a man











by the way i noticed your nickname are you perhaps from south africa ???
false. if the book is nice then it doesnot matter whwther its writtwn by a male or a female.
Not true. Although the kind of slushy,girly books that I avoid like the plague tend to be written by women.
False. My BF reads everything under the sun and doesn't even pay attention to what gender/age/race/etc. the authors are.
not neccesarily. i like works of emily bronte, charlotte bronte, dickinson, louisa may alcott and many more better books by female authors. mary shelly is pretty ok(just for ur knowledge she is pb shelleys wife)... and there are loads more female writers who are pretty good
Not in all instances, but if the book is something too romantic or girly, i doubt, for one, i dont read it myself....we have authors mushrooming that way....
IT DEPENDS ON THE GUY! SOME GUYS LIKE BOOK THAT ARE BY WOMAN.SOME BOYS DON'T LIKE TO READ AND SOME GUY LOVE TO READ! IT ALL DEPENDS.
False. Men dont like to read books by lousy writers. Nor do women for that matter....
it's true. and it's the same with female comedians. it's cos women writers seem to think it's interesting to talk about female things, plus guys find women complicated enough without trying to read something they have worked on for months!





P.S. JK Rowling proved your theory by not making it obvious from her name that she is female. most ppl who don't know would think it's a guy.
Not necessarily..... Men don't like reading love novels
False.
It depends on a number of factors:





The percentage of male authors to female


The types of book that females write


The types of book that males write


The types of books that females like to read


The types of books that males like to read





Put all of those together in a Venn diagram and ... hmmm. You have something that looks vaguely like raindrops on a lake. Very pretty, but does it mean anything?





All I can say is that one of my very favorite authors is Judith Lennox


http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/sear鈥?/a>





(and I'm a male, by the way)
False. The majority of my favorite authors are female and I am a guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment